Monday 28 January 2013

RECIPE: Snickers “I Need Something Disgustingly Indulgent Now” Pie


I can’t tell you how easily persuaded I am to bake something, in fact, an ENTIRE huge plate or dish or something, just to indulge in just one slice of pleasure it provides. I do this scarily too often for comfort, but at least I can give it away once it’s made and let it sit on somebody else’s hips, not all on my own poor pegs!

After chatting with a friend last week about Snickers Ice Cream, I couldn’t get the creamy, nutty, caramel-y thought of Snickers out of my mind.
Following a long pup walk this weekend, I still couldn’t get the craving out of my mind, so the mister ran to the shops and bought the prerequisite ingredients for this dreamy Cream Pie, that I had actually found on a favorite blog of mine.



“Not Quite Nigella” aka Lorraine Elliott, an Australian enthusiast of cake and food in general, she believes that cakes in fact belong in an art gallery and she celebrates food like no other blogger I have followed religiously, she’s a super blogger!
Lorraine also has a long suffering husband, who demands photos of her fave restaurant food are wiped to make room for the home cooking photography she then indulges in, she’s more true to myself than I like to admit hehe. 


This woman is equally as much, if not more so, of a kitchen goddess and Nigella must be quaking in her boots as much as I do at the mere thought of the recipe in question. This woman is my go to girl, after the original Goddess herself... naturally.

She has a recipe, simply named “Snickers Pie”.

It’s a cookie crumb encrusted pie, filled with caramel, chopped up Snickers bars, whipped cream and a smooth peanut butter cheesecake mix. It’s the most indulgent pie I’ve ever made and I simply had one slither and couldn’t eat any more. I LOVE it!

One thing I would say is that she suggests that you make a Chocolate Ganache for the topping, however, it was plenty calorific without this topping, so we decided not to go for the full shebang, settling simply on the above ingredients and topping with finely crushed Snickers to decorate, before sticking in the freezer to firm.


I did have to do a little guess work as the measures are mainly in American cups, so I have written it out as I made this with my British conversions...


SNICKERS PIE RECIPE:

Makes 1 x 9 inch pie (6 cup capacity)

For the crust
  • 75g unsalted butter, melted plus a little extra for greasing the pie dish
  • 250g chocolate cookies (I used chocolate choc chip cookies just to add to the chocolateyness)
For the filling
  • 250g cream cheese softened (I used full - I know…but that’s just what I had in the fridge ; )
  • 340g double cream (for whipping)
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 125g smooth peanut butter
  • 125g cup dulce de leche caramel
  • 4 x 53g Snickers bars, chopped up, about six pieces reserved for the topping
For topping (if you want to go for this too!)
  • 200g/7ozs chocolate (I used a 50/50 mixture of milk and dark chocolate)
  • 75g double cream
To decorate
  • 100g of unsalted roasted peanuts and a few pieces of the Snickers bar from above

 Grease your pie plate with some butter going all the way up the sides. In a food 
processor, finely process the cookie crumbs until very fine and then add melted 
butter. Press this mixture into the pie plate and up the sides. 
Use a glass to help press it and make it flat. Place in the fridge to harden.

 In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whipping attachment, whip the cream 
until it becomes firm peaks. Set aside in a large bowl. Switch the head on the mixer
 to the beater head and then using the same mixer bowl beat the cream cheese,
 sugar and peanut butter until it becomes smooth and there are no lumps-this is easily done if the cream cheese is not straight from the fridge and has been softened 
on the benchtop for about an hour or two (depending on temperature). 
Fold the cream and the peanut butter and cream cheese mixture together gently 
making sure not to deflate the mix.

Remove the pie plate from the fridge and spread the cookie base with the 
dulce de leche. Place the Snickers pieces on top of the layer of dulce de leche 
and then top this with the whipped cream cheese and peanut butter filling. 
Place in the freezer.

Make the ganache by breaking up the chocolate into pieces and melting it in the
 microwave on 50% power on 60 second burst stirring between bursts or over a
 double boiler (a heatproof bowl fitted over a pot of simmering water). Then warm
 the cream and stir into the melted chocolate mixture until completely smooth and 
thoroughly combined. It should still be very liquid. Reserve a small amount (1/3 cup)
 for drizzling over the pie at the end. Have an offset spatula ready and remove the 
pie from the freezer and working quickly pour and spread the liquid chocolate ganache
 over the top and tilt the pie tin to take the chocolate to the sides using the spatula
 to spread it right to the edge if you need it.

 Sprinkle nuts and a few pieces of Snickers around the edges. With the reserved 
ganache (heat it gently again if it has become too firm) fill a small piping bag with a small
 hole or a zip lock bag and then snip a little hole in the corner of the ziplock bag or the 
piping bag and then drizzle the ganache over the nuts and Snickers on the edge cementing them in place. Chill for a few hours or place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes to firm up. 
Then keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

  
Best served with a good strong cuppa for maximum 
pleasure... In my humble opinion.

The rest of the pie went to work with the mister, where they all got very excited and indulged before lunchtime.. I love those guys, perfect for taste testing ; )

If you make this bad boy of a Cream Pie, do leave a comment below and let me know how you got on with it and how you made it your own!


Miss Sue Flay

x



2 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed this pie, lovely! It is indulgent and as you say, you don't have to do the ganache layer as the whole shebang is quite sweet as it is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! Can see how 1 slice would be enough!

    ReplyDelete