Friday 31 August 2012

Review: Betty Marshmallow



If you go down to Ely today... You will be sure of a big surprise... well, I was in shock anyway hehe... If, like me, you like cupcakes and all things good and naughty rolled into one, then you will also be pleased to hear that Ely city centre is finally home to a fabulous new cupcakery to rival the more traditional offerings of Peacocks Tea Room on the riverside : ) 


Betty Marshmallow opened in February 2012 and is tucked away just off the High Street on Chequers Lane in the cutest little building which just lends itself perfectly to the retro feel of the inside of the shop. Only closing on a Monday, it’s a rare treat locally to see such a great place open both days over the weekend, so ensure that you take advantage of this!


The shop, owned by the equally fun, lovely and crazy hair-coloured Jenny Laird, has been recommended to me by various people over the last month or two and I decided that whilst I was visiting the area it would be rude not to pop in and take advantage of a recent Facebook offer Jenny had been shouting about, which allowed me to treat my best friends to some stunning melt in the mouth cupcakes for dinner later that day. Needless to say, my friends loved me for them and due to the heat of the night, we thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the garden drinking wine and sharing these beauties around the table.


Having a chat with Jenny, she was happily nattering away to me, telling me that she had done equally as much cake-based research lately (it’s a hard life, but some of us have to do it ; ) 
She decided to leave her management position with the worst company in the world (I could tackle that one with her, but I get where she is coming from haha) and go to work doing what she loves doing the most... baking


Jenny is so proud of her hard work and so she should be, this is the perfect fresh sandwich kitchen, offering a selection of fillings as well as healthier salads and other savouries, thick milkshakes, ice cream & cakes, cupcakes (individual, boxed or even in a bouquet!) & tray bakes. 
You can also sit outside in the shade of the building whilst enjoying a cuppa and a bite to eat. 
In fact, Jenny labels Betty Marshmallow as Ely's alternative to The Hummingbird Bakery and to be completely honest with you, it’s ten times better in my humble opinion!


Betty Marshmallow is quickly becoming famous for it’s cupcakes, with fillings such as rocky road, rainbow cupcakes, orange & almond, bubblegum, oreo, nutella, cherry bakewell, amaretto, vanilla & black cherry, cupcakes with pretty icing & vintage inspired decorations and my personal favourite - Jam & Peanut Butter, which is just the most delicious cupcake I have ever tried. 
The eggs used in Jenny’s baking are all free range eggs, as her own hens lay from time to time too, ex battery hens to be precise. If you go to their website, you will find a whole page dedicated to her beloved hens and how she came to home them : ) 
Jenny is very passionate about these hens and her vow to only use free range eggs actually gives you another reason to believe just how genuine she is and how she intends to run her business, I really respect her for this. 


They also stock a large range of cake and craft supplies, as well as small gifts and cake stands. I did in fact pick up some gorgeous recipe cards and a small shopping list pad for my fridge at a great price - who says food shopping has to be dull?!
Jenny is very much like myself in some ways, not only in bright hair colour choices, but also in supporting local business. She holds local cake makers cards and artwork for cakes that she might not be able to offer their customers herself, including my lovely friend Cakes by Cat who is deserving of the promotion for her beautifully hand made and individually designed creations. 


What I also love about Jenny and Betty Marshmallow is that there is no fakery. It’s friendly, yet polite and I don’t feel like I am being watched whilst I wander around and decide what I want to buy and this is the sign of a great cake eatery, as I detest being stared at whilst trying to decide. There is no pressure and that goes a long way, especially when the shop is busy and the girls are rushed off their feet... nothing is too much effort for them.


And remember, Betty Marshmallow isn’t all about the cupcakes... they also offer chocolate brownies, peanut butter blondies and celebration cakes from time to time, so just ask or pop in for a chat to find out what they are up to each week. Or keep updated on new creations through their fab Facebook or Twitter pages, which are regularly (and rather cruelly ; ) updated whilst I am at work and craving the sweet stuff. 

What are you waiting for?... 

Get your bum off that seat and drop into Betty Marshmallow to enjoy a sugar rush, like, now! 



Miss Sue Flay
x


2 comments:

  1. It's literally opposite Julia's Tea Room.. Cat whisked me here before I left... it's definately worth a visit ; ) xxx

    ReplyDelete