Tuesday 2 August 2011

That Tesco Sandwich


Did you seen the Strawberries and Cream Sandwich that our nations favourite supermarket had made as an intriguing partner for this summers' Wimbledon?

It was a a clever little marketing tool in my eyes, and sold at only a £1 for this confusing little package.
I, of course headed round the corner to pick up one to try... Much to my Twitter and Facebook Friends' (And possibly even my own!) disgust hehe... I like to try these things, you should know this by now ; ) 



When I had heard about this sandwich, all I could think was that would actually sell well, surely?! - To be honest, I have no idea if it was indeed a big seller - Did you try it dear blog reader? 

- If so, DO leave a comment with your thoughts on your experience with this sandwich delight?!...

Well, All the conversations I had about it online (Good old Social networking!) lead to the idea that in our heads we assumed the bread would be some sort of sweet bread such as a Brioche... which would actually appeal to most people it seems.
 However, the bread was white poppy seed, and the seeded crunch was not really a very welcome texture in my opinion. It was strange. It didn't really taste of much, fairly slimy in the middle and very very sweet jam in the centre. I am not really sure I had much expectation with this filling, I was just being curious if I am honest with you. 


What I did decide to do though, thanks to the lovely Tine at Cambridge Cookery School, was try out her fast Brioche Recipe as I had needed an excuse to try it for some time, and so I made my own version with a much tastier bread option... so here it is, my very own version of the Strawberries and Cream Sandwich, which was so easy to prepare and just delicious fresh from the oven... I can't rate this Brioche recipe enough and with the fresh Strawberries and a drizzle of cream, well.... Give it a go for yourself to see just how lovely it is! 


FAST BRIOCHE RECIPE 

200g SOFT unsalted butter
+40g caster sugar
+3 eggs=beaten
+500g strong flour
+10g fresh yeast
+1 teaspoon salt
+200ml milk.

Knead for 5 minutes 

Place in fridge over night (12 Hours)

Line a Muffin tin and divide between 12 cases

Bake for 20min at 190C.

Serve warm with Freshly picked Strawberries and a drizzle of Single Cream... or even better... A Dollop of Clotted Cream. 

Much Much nicer than anything the supermarkets can sell you!... well worth the baking!


Miss Sue Flay 

x

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm Tesco version looks a bit bleurgh but I am sure your version was very tasty. I am afraid I am obviously not adventurous in my sandwich choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I am not usually.. I am a Chicken and Sweetcorn kind of gal.. but because of the filling, naturally I had to try it... It wouldn't be very Afternoon Tea-Hostess like of me not to have done so ; )

    ReplyDelete