Sunday 13 March 2011

GIGGLE CAKE : )

The only giggling I did whilst making this recipe was at how my lovely puppy dog loved sniffing around my legs whilst I drained the fruit... I did drop a few currants on the floor, and my furry hoover helped to clean up the floor as I went along!... Hehe. 

This is a cake that I have never heard of before, however it stems from my part of the world..... Well... The Fens to be precise!... A boiled fruit cake... sounds very unappealing... But believe me...It is TASTY!
It is said to make the baker giggle when she or he hears their guests OOH and AHH when they know just how easy it was to make!..... How true this is, I am not entirely sure.... But I like the mystery behind the name of this dish!

I have yet to make a local sweet dish... so I thought that I would give it a go... and I have to say... this fruit cake is deliciously sweet and, not being a fruit cake fan myself, I REALLY enjoyed this. 

GIGGLE CAKE RECIPE: SERVES 8 

  • Ingredients
  • 350g/12oz/2 cups mixed dried fruit
  • 125g/4oz butter or margarine
  • 175g/6oz/1 cup soft brown sugar
  • 250g/8oz/2 cups self raising flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 225g/7.5 can chopped pineapple - drained
  • 125g/4oz glace cherries - halved
  • Put the mixed dried fruit into a large bowl and cover with boiling water
  • Leave to soak for 10-15 minutes the drain well

  • Put the butter or margarine and sugar into a large saucepan and heat gently until melted


  • Add the drained mixed dried fruit and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently for 4-5 minutes
  • Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl
  • Leave to cool


  • Sift the flour and salt into the dried fruit mixture and stir well
  • Add the eggs, mixing until thoroughly incorporated


  • Add the pineapples and cherries to the cake mixture and stir to combine


  • Transfer to a greased lined 1kg/2lb loaf tin and level the surface
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree c/350 degree f/gas mark 4 for about 1 hour
 (My Gluten Free Adaptation)


  • Test the cake with a fine skewer - if it comes out clear the cake is cooked - if not return to the oven for a few more minutes
    Enjoy with a Good Strong Cuppa!.... MSF x

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, looks and sounds very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is! It doesn't look much, but so sweet...Give it a go : ) xx

    ReplyDelete